Create a Lens
A lens is a selection of content in the repository to help readers find content that is related to a particular topic or focus. You can add tags and comments to selected contents that are meaningful to you or your community. Lenses can be private and then only you can see them while logged in, or they can be public so that anyone can see them. To see an example of a public lens click here.
Here are the basic steps to create a lens.
Get an account and log in to your personal workspace.
- Get an account -- It is simple and free. You will need to have a valid email address to confirm your account.
- Log in here -- or you can click on the MyCNX tab and log in there.
Create a Lens in the Authoring Area.
- Create your lens: Create a new lens in your Authoring Area. Select Create a Lens.
- Add descriptive information: Give your lens a title and describe what the lens is for. You may add a logo or image to your lens and a link to an external Web page.
- Choose public or private: Choose whether you would like your lens to be private (only you will be able to see it) or public (anyone can see the lens). Public lenses will display in the left navigation bar when readers view content that is inside the lens and will be available in lens listings.
- Save: Click the Save button. You can always change the information displayed about your lens by returning to the Edit Lens Properties tab on your lens, making your changes, and clicking Save again.
First: Make sure that you are logged in so that the lens editing features are enabled.
- Add to lens on a Module: When viewing a module that you would like to include in one of your lenses, click the link Add to a lens in Content Actions. Choose which lens to add to (if you have more than one) and fill in tags and comments about this module.
- Add to lens on a Collection: On the home page of a collection that you would like to include in one of your lenses, click the link Add to a lens in Content Actions. Choose which lens to add to (if you have more than one) and fill in tags and comments about this collection.
Congratulations! You have created a lens.
(Up to 'Authoring')